To prepare for Indian Polity for any competitive exam, aspirants have to know about the basics of Federal Governance. It gives an idea of all the topics important for IAS Exam and the polity syllabus (GS-II). Federal Governance and related topics are extremely important for the UPSC Exam. This is an essential portion of the polity. As IAS aspirants, you should be thorough with the Federal Governance. This article will provide you with relevant details about the Meaning of Federalism.
|MEANING OF FEDERALISM|
- Federalism is an institutional mechanism to accommodate two sets of polities– At regional level and at the national level. Each government is autonomous in its own sphere.
- Federalism is derived from the Latin world “foedus” which means agreement.
- Federation is an agreement between two types of governments sharing power and controlling their respective spheres. Thus a federation is a system of national and local governments, combined under a common sovereignty with both national as well as federating units having autonomous spheres assigned to them by the constitution.
- Constitutional division of powers between the national & regional governments and both operate in their respective jurisdictions independently.
- Federation is a new state (political system) which is formed through a treaty or an agreement between the various units and known by different names- provinces (In Canada), states (in USA), and republics (in Russia).
- 1 (1) – India, that is Bharat, shall be a Union of States.
- First Schedule – States and the territories.