Significance of DPSP
- May 23, 2021
- Posted by: Admin
- Category: others
|SIGNIFICANCE OF DPSP|
- Helps courts as Guiding Light in determining and examining constitutional validity of act/rules/regulation.
- Symbolizes idea of welfare state and amplifies social and economic justice as entailed in Preamble.
- They impose a moral obligation on the state authorities for their application, however, public opinion is real force behind them.
- Serves as moral precepts for – Legislature, executive and administrative of state
- They serve as Common Minimum Programme for every government irrespective of their manifestos and political ideologies.
- The Directives are the life-giving provisions of the Constitution. They constitute the stuff of the Constitution and its philosophy of social justice. – L. M Singhvi
- Directives lay down that the goal of Indian polity is ‘economic democracy’ as distinguished from ‘political democracy’ (Fundamental rights) – R. Ambedkar
- Provides stability and continuity in policies despite change in governments.
- Supplements and complements Fundamental Rights (Part III).
- Serves as benchmarks and yardstick for peoples to gauge performance of govt.
- DPSPs are intended to be a guide, friend and philosopher of ruling party in legislative and executive acts.
- Serves as important tool for opposition parties to ensure accountability of executive and exercise influence and control over the government.