Amendment to Preamble
To prepare for Indian Polity for any competitive exam, aspirants have to know about the basics of the Constitution of India. It gives an idea of all the topics important for IAS Exam and the polity syllabus (GS-II). Preamble and related topics are extremely important for the UPSC Exam. This is an essential portion of the polity. As IAS aspirants, you should be thorough with the Preamble. This article will provide you with relevant details about the Amendment to Preamble.
|AMENDMENT TO PREAMBLE|
- Till now, preamble has been amended only once in 1975.
- Original preamble described the state as a “sovereign democratic republic”.
- 42nd CAA 1976 changed this by adding words socialistand
- Now it reads “sovereign, socialist, secular, democratic, republic”
- Preamble may be amended subject to the basic structure of the constitution – Kesavananda Bharti (1973) case.